Friday, August 5, 2016

Room for Change

Who would ever want a sunroom? What would one even do in a sunroom? Those are the questions I used to think about when we were first looking at homes, and I'd see the sun room option in floor plans.

Summer in MD
I now think of them differently though. While I'm unsure how much additional I'd be willing to pay for one, especially since one report I read once listed it under the 5 worst home improvements projects for your money. However, I'm thinking that report viewed the addition through the lens of adding on the structure after the home has been lived in, as opposed to having it built while the home was in construction phase.

It's all somewhat of a moot point anyway, because to the best of my knowledge, Ryan Homes doesn't offer such an addition in their single family colonial models, and definitely not in the Avalon floor plans we've seen.

Something simple but with nice windows like this
Thinking about the floor plan addition that to be honest, we probably couldn't afford, nor would it have been a sound investment anyway, got me to thinking about the first house we looked at--the one that "got a away". Albeit, technically, we walked away because Ryan Homes offered us a much better deal and overall home price value. 

Still, the first new home builder we looked at, with the "dream home", that wasn't in the dream neighborhood and school zone that could have even allowed us to justify stretching the budget for, had a floor plan that looked like beneath.

Owe dream home...I think of ye thee everyday...

The thing(s) I liked about this layout were too many to list. Actually, that's a lie--I just don't like looking back at that overpriced, yet super open floor plan, because I keep thinking I'll turn into a pillar of salt! But what I will mention is that when you add the first floor bedroom suite, they don't force you to give up the study! Granted, that suite cost on the order of $27K, but still. That's something I would have cut other things from my current Avalon's budget to obtain.

Anyway, enough looking back and wondering what if...
Won't be me! Nope nope nope!



No comments:

Post a Comment