Friday, January 27, 2017

Ceiling Fan Installation: Let there be light

One of the things you may or may not consider when building a new home is: How am I going to illuminate this room? In our case, we decided on ceiling fans with light kits, and purchased ceiling fan rough-ins (at $250 a pop I believe) for every bedroom and the family room. To be clear, it's money well spent. As it gives you the option of not being forced to use lamps or have invasive drywall surgery done later in order to add the necessary components.

Here we are, vigorously patting ourselves on the back
While we were pleased that we got the necessary framework, we then realized that we actually needed to do work--or at least I did. So here was my first home project. Low hanging fruit right? Mind you, I'm an electrical engineer by trade, so I felt as if my efforts in this were definitely minimized by my fiance and father (also an electrical engineer). But I was proud of myself, so that's all that matters right??

We actually purchased ceiling fans a few days before we even closed, so that we could install them ASAP after moving in. And indeed, I decided to tackle installing my first one the day after we moved in. I won't bother you with all the details on how an estimated "1 hr" project turned into a 3hr project, filled with quiet curses, a frightened puppy based off random things falling (screws, tools, etc.,) and a sore back from standing and hunching on a step ladder. But overall, the initial ceiling fan installation, which was in Keenan's room, was 50% successful!

Editors note: Why just 50%? Well, let's just say that someone, namely the editor himself, didn't have any electrical tape on hand. And so while the light portion of the ceiling fan works, the ceiling fan motor wire most have come undone, because the caps that keep the wires in place likely fell off when I was installing it. No big deal overall, as it's winter and the ceiling fan portion definitely isn't needed and I can easily take it down, tape up the wires, and proceed from there. I just don't feel like doing it and will probably hold off til Spring at least.

So it begins
Not as fun as it looks

Ok, this isn't so bad!
Melo is unimpressed




That much closer. Also, notice all of that excess wire...stuffing that in was actually problematic

Success!!! Except, the motor wires apparently came off

Next up: Karmen's room. This went WAY smoother, after the lessons learned from Keenan's room. However, the challenge for this one was that I worked in the complete dark. Seriously, I had flashlights taped to the ceiling and all kinds of craziness. Yet, it worked!! Lights and fan.

Look at those fan blades spin

And the light works

Today, if all goes as planned, I'll tackle the master bedroom fan. Wish me luck.

Editors note: Master bedroom done!!











1 comment:

  1. Installing a ceiling fan with a light in each room is a great idea because you were able to kill two birds with one stone. It's actually good that you made mistakes in the first room. You learned from those mistakes in the other rooms, and you did mention that you can fix the wires in the first room when spring hits.

    ReplyDelete