Monday, January 30, 2017

And then let there be more light!

Having a black asphalt driveway can be (not) surprisingly difficult to navigate at night, especially when reversing down it as some (ok, just me) have a tendency to do. Also, for some reason or another, we didn't initially have our external lamp post installed at time of moving in. And while the lights around the garage and the garage floodlights do an awesome job of illuminating the parking pad portion of our driveway, I felt as if some runway lighting wouldn't hurt.

After a quick look on Amazon, I found some easy to install and inexpensive solution in terms of solar LED lights. While I was weary of the lights effectiveness, I took a flyer and ordered a set, in part do to mostly positive reviews and the quite reasonable price tag. Night time pictures aren't the strength of my phone's camera, but I'll let you be the judge of their effectiveness. Oddly enough, our PM stopped by our house for our 30 day move in meeting, or maybe it was a pre-30 day meeting? I can't remember. In any event, he put a rush order in to have our lamp post installed and he also noticed the lights I was preparing to install and remarked that he didn't think they'd do much (which in part, I think is what prompted him to put the rush order in, given how sad he thought the lights would be).







Overall, I have found them to be excellent. However, I think in part that's because each of the solar powered LED lights come equipped with a  factory pre-charged NiCAD battery. Thus for the first few nights, they shone bright. But I did notice the other night, that the nights were noticeably dimmer in some cases. I think that's because the batteries have now expended their initial charges, and have been relying on the partly cloudy winter day's to refuel themselves finally. And the results are so so. I'd still recommend them, but I can't give a true assessment until we get some sunny weather.

1 comment:

  1. This was the most informative and entertaining Ryan's Home blog I have read... by far. My husband and I are just beginning the process. Thank you for all of the information. Hope you enjoying your beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete